Skip to main content

HIGHLAND GUARD by Hannah Howell

This book was a little disappointed and has no mystery to it.  I found out almost every secret of the book in the first three chapters. Can you believe that, a book with no mystery and EVERYTHING was easily resolved.

Lady Annys Macqueen is in desperate need for some help. Her husband, the Laird of her lands, is now dead from a mysterious illness.

Although she has a son to inherit the land, a kinsman from her husband's family wants to claim what is rightfully her son's, even if he has to take it by force.

Scared for her people and her son, Lady Annys only has one person to turn too, the only man who set her body and her heart on fire and left her pregnant and heartbroken, Sir Harcourt Murray.

After five long years, Sir Harcourt Murray is finally back to the place where he almost died, nursed back to health and left with a heavy heart.

After repaying the death of saving his life with his seed, (giggle) Harcourt is once again needed to help.  On his first day back, he finds out that the Laird was not sick but poisoned and that it had to be from someone inside the keep.

Now Harcourt has made it his duty to protect the keep whilst trying to find the traitor among the mist. Would he succeed in his quest?  Find out in the 20th, yes the 20th installment of The Murray Family Series, Highland Guard.

I've heard many good things about +Hannah Howell and when I had the opportunity to read one of her books, I jumped at it.  This was a big mistake for me.  I'm not sure if all her books are like this, but this book was not for me.

All the secrets of the book were all laid out in the first three chapters.  I kid you not.  I learnt that Harcourt is the real father of Lady Annys son.  I also know why they had to do what they did, with her husband's blessing.

We learn that the laird was not ill but poisoned and that it was by someone in the keep. I was intrigued by this for I thought that finally, some sort of mystery to the book, but no, a few chapters later, the spy was found and caught.

I was really frustrated by the book.  I like a sense of mystery to the books I read, but I got nothing. I knew everything and I did not have to work my brain really hard to figure out anything. I did not even get the satisfaction that Annys must keep the secret from her people because guess what, they already knew.

This is the first book in forever that I skipped through the pages.  There were too much repetition and no tragedy.  Everything was easily resolved with a neat little bow on top and NO CONFLICT.

I was disappointed, but I would like to read another one of her books to see if I'll like a different story.  Maybe this was one of her bad books and the rest is good.

I think that the reason I did not much like this book is because it sounded like stories I've read before with nothing new to it.  Hopefully, I'll enjoy the rest of her books.



You can purchase this book in the links below.



                 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT STARTED WITH A KISS by Marina Adair

Well well well! What do we have here with this story? Is it a love story, is it a trade or is it MURDER! I'm kidding, I'm kidding, there's no murder here. Avery Adams wants adventure. She wants to push herself outside the norm and experience life instead of just existing. This came about when she survived a kidney transplant that saved her life, but it's also a ticking time bomb that can explode at any time. With her resolve to experience life, Avery did the most logical thing and got a job as a guide in the local adventure lodge in her rustic Sierra Nevada Town. She was excited for her new job until reality slapped her in the face.  Instead of getting the training she needed in order to become a guide, she's stuck in the office, managing the business as best she can. What makes this situation worse is that the business is failing and the owner is so set in his ways that he refuses to change anything to fix it.  Frustrated with the way things were, hel...

MY CURVY VALENTINE by Sugar Jamison

This book is tied with Gentlemen Prefers Curves for the best book in this series.  Maggie is such a beautiful person, but she is also clueless. I could tell that she was has been married to the same guy for years before the both of them even knew it. Deciding to quit her high paying job as a bio-medical engineer and to follow her fashion dreams by working in a clothing store that caters to the full figured woman like herself. You might think that Maggie Calhoun must be out of her mind, especially since this all came about with her parents divorce. And you would be right, Maggie is out of her mind.  Out of her mind in bliss.  This is the first time in her life that she is doing something for herself, and she plans to enjoy it.  That is until her brother's best friend, Alex, moved his bakery beneath her apartment. Every morning she is awakened by sexual dreams that include whatever is being made in the bakery each morning.  Her dreams o...

THE HIGHLAND HENCHMAN by Amy Jarecki

After reading "The Angel and the Warrior" I really needed a book to pick me up and I am so glad that this book did just the trick.  The only thing that irked me was that the heroine in this book upset me greatly. Needing royal assistance, Baron Ross issued a tournament to enchant the Highlanders to leave their land and come to the Lowlands to take part.  What he really wanted was for the Highlanders to fight a dangerous battle that would get most of them killed. After the tournament the Highland Lairds choose instead to entrust their best warriors to stay and fight. This was not exactly what Baron Ross wanted but he knew that he could not change their mind so he accepted. Bran MacLeod was one of the warriors that was left behind, and even though he did not like it, he knew that he can never go against his Laird.  It did not help matters that their was a dangerous instant attraction between him and the baron's last daughter.  Bran knows that getting involved ...