Skip to main content

THE RIGHT WIFE by Beverly Barton

All I can say is wow.  It went from pillar to post with this book and I could not fully grasp how quickly the story escalated.  When I thought it was over, another situation was slammed into my face that left me reeling.  Let me explain.

Margaret Campbell is a vibrant young woman with the weight of the world on her shoulders.  After her mother's death, Margaret had to become the mother to both her younger brother and sister and times got especially rough when her father dies years later.

Not knowing what to do, Margaret was grateful when her mother's brother decided to take the three of them in. Margaret was overjoyed that she can keep her promise to her father and get a better life for her siblings but things don't go according to her plan and it's all Aaron Stone's fault.

Aaron Stone is on a mission, a mission to find a wife.  Not just any wife, the right wife (get it). After saving Margaret, her siblings and her colored servant at the train station, Aaron cannot get her out of his mind. Now every time he closes his eyes, it's Margaret that come to his mind instead of instead of the widow he has been courting and Aaron knows that Margaret is not the one to help overcome the shadows surrounding his birth.

Not wanting Margaret as a wife but not willing to give her up either, he can ruin her reputation by just being next to her, but he just cannot bring himself to care enough to stop. 

With her reputation ruined, Margaret must know leave her very strict Christian home in order to not "taint" her family with her shame.  Aaron does not want to let her go but is not willing to do the right thing either.

The both of them are at an impasse when an unexpected evil arises that will kill them all, if the evil is not caught in time.  With all this madness going around, would Aaron choose happiness over the feeling of fitting in or would he realize to late that letting Margaret go would be the biggest mistake in his life, especially in doing so he becomes what he despises the most. 

Beverly Barton had a nice idea, but it was very predictable.  A hotheaded girl, meets a mysterious stranger and I thought, okay, I know how this story is going to end.  And I was right, it ended exactly as I thought it would have, sure there were some surprises installed, like the shooting and the rape and.......can't give away too much now can I.

I read it too the end but I was not excited about the book and it did not leave me thinking about it when I was finished, I more felt relief.  Other than that, it was an okay read and I despised Aaron, he was very selfish and very, very, very, unfair..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT STARTED WITH A KISS by Marina Adair

Well well well! What do we have here with this story? Is it a love story, is it a trade or is it MURDER! I'm kidding, I'm kidding, there's no murder here. Avery Adams wants adventure. She wants to push herself outside the norm and experience life instead of just existing. This came about when she survived a kidney transplant that saved her life, but it's also a ticking time bomb that can explode at any time. With her resolve to experience life, Avery did the most logical thing and got a job as a guide in the local adventure lodge in her rustic Sierra Nevada Town. She was excited for her new job until reality slapped her in the face.  Instead of getting the training she needed in order to become a guide, she's stuck in the office, managing the business as best she can. What makes this situation worse is that the business is failing and the owner is so set in his ways that he refuses to change anything to fix it.  Frustrated with the way things were, hel...

MY CURVY VALENTINE by Sugar Jamison

This book is tied with Gentlemen Prefers Curves for the best book in this series.  Maggie is such a beautiful person, but she is also clueless. I could tell that she was has been married to the same guy for years before the both of them even knew it. Deciding to quit her high paying job as a bio-medical engineer and to follow her fashion dreams by working in a clothing store that caters to the full figured woman like herself. You might think that Maggie Calhoun must be out of her mind, especially since this all came about with her parents divorce. And you would be right, Maggie is out of her mind.  Out of her mind in bliss.  This is the first time in her life that she is doing something for herself, and she plans to enjoy it.  That is until her brother's best friend, Alex, moved his bakery beneath her apartment. Every morning she is awakened by sexual dreams that include whatever is being made in the bakery each morning.  Her dreams o...

THE HIGHLAND HENCHMAN by Amy Jarecki

After reading "The Angel and the Warrior" I really needed a book to pick me up and I am so glad that this book did just the trick.  The only thing that irked me was that the heroine in this book upset me greatly. Needing royal assistance, Baron Ross issued a tournament to enchant the Highlanders to leave their land and come to the Lowlands to take part.  What he really wanted was for the Highlanders to fight a dangerous battle that would get most of them killed. After the tournament the Highland Lairds choose instead to entrust their best warriors to stay and fight. This was not exactly what Baron Ross wanted but he knew that he could not change their mind so he accepted. Bran MacLeod was one of the warriors that was left behind, and even though he did not like it, he knew that he can never go against his Laird.  It did not help matters that their was a dangerous instant attraction between him and the baron's last daughter.  Bran knows that getting involved ...